Status update, August 2021
Published on September 06, 2021
Table of contents
This month I took a break from Cyberscore to work on other projects. I was all in on Pokémon stuff. I also took a week of vacations, which is why this update is a bit late.
Before working on the pokédex extraction thing, I worked on a quick and dirty tool to OCR the pokédex flavor entries from Pokémon cards, to help seed content on https://pkmncards.com. This is available here: https://github.com/hugopeixoto/ptcg-ocr/
I’ve also spent around a week’s worth of time polishing and rehearsing for my talk for RustConf. Initially I was going through the technical details of a bunch of algorithms, but being limited to 15 minutes, I had to cut a lot and really focus on the essentials. It was an interesting experiment, but it took forever. It’s the first talk I’m giving outside of Porto codes, so that’s going to be fun. I hope people like it.
My to-do list for September is kind of huge, not sure how I’m going to fit everything in.
First, there’s the actual RustConf talk, scheduled for the 14th.
AlumniEI’s Mentorship program is supposed to launch this month, so I’ll need to spend some time on it.
I wanted to work on extracting the pokédex flavor texts from the Switch games and add them to Veekun, but I think it will have to wait. I volunteered to do a C++ related talk in November, but I’ll probably only start working on it in October.
I’m getting stressed just looking at this list. I’ll probably start with Cyberscore and the mentorship program, since they’re closed scope tasks and kind of time critical, and then move to the D3 and ANSOL ones, since they’re are a bit more squishy and lengthy. Not sure where I’m going to fit F-Zero Central. Getting this blog post out of the way is already a great help kickstarting things.